Server SIG - work areas

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:44:23 UTC 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Dan Horák <dan at danny.cz> wrote:
>> opened our own mailing list - subscribe at
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/fedora-server-list
>
> Cool - signing up. Excellent high level list of topics - matches
> perfectly with my OLPC School Server needs.
>
> I guess specific technical discussions do come back to
> fedora-devel-list@ still... we can't really do it without help --
> however indirect -- from the wider dev community.
>
> (If we do take all "server" discussions there, we could succeed in
> removing them from here, effectively lowering awareness of the server
> needs. That would be... counterproductive...)

Yes, note that nothing server-centric is really opposed to being client
or desktop oriented as any machine may need to provide a mix of services
while running as a client itself.  Consider a single machine acting as a
server for LTSP thin clients and/or multiuser freenx sessions as an
example. It would likely provide dhcp/dns/http/ftp/samba/nfs/email and
perhaps act as a nat internet gateway, but it still needs all desktop
functionality for multiple users.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com