Re: Server SIG - work areas

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Horst H. von Brand wrote:

Sorry, but I see little use for gnuplot on a server. And if needed, it will
have some GUI.

Please enligthen.

Think webserver generating plots. Incidentially, I'm sometimes using a traffic monitoring server which uses gnuplot to generate ping time statistic. IIRC the server in question has a "special" RPM preventing linking against the desktop stack.

But there are other unsolved problems: e.g. php-gd pulled in half of the X11 stack for a long time, I think this was partly fixed by now but the dependency chain is still quite long.

regards,
 andreas