Status of libtool 2.2.X?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Dec 3 17:33:43 UTC 2008

Ed Hill wrote:
>  + CMake -- have tried it a bit and have run into problems
>    (e.g., multi-job builds failing with frustraing race conditions)
>    with the setups created by others -- but it may be that its not
>    the tool per-se just the use of it

As far as I know, race conditions with parallel make are all due to some
missing dependencies in custom targets. If you use custom targets, you are
responsible for getting the dependencies right, just as in a handwritten
makefile. That's the drawback of custom targets. But they are essential for
extensibility. Automake supports them too (and there too, there are plenty
of packages getting the dependencies wrong). That's neither CMake's nor
Automake's fault.

        Kevin Kofler