looking for inotifywait and similar help

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Dec 3 18:16:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 09:26:25AM +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> Beside the syntax error, there is a race when file was created shortly
> before inotifywait. You have to check whether the file exists *after*
> inotify_add_watch(2) like in
>
>              https://www.cvg.de/people/ensc/wait-for-file.c

I don't really understand when the race condition could be, but in my
case there is a sleep 30 anyway before launching a command that checks
itself if the file exists, so I think this doesn't apply in my case.

> I filed a request a year ago to include similar functionality into
> inotifytools but this does not seem to implemented yet
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=lylkdk440g.fsf%40ensc-pc.intern.sigma-chemnitz.de

In both cases /etc is watched. That is something I would have liked to
avoid, because it will cause my script to wake up a lot, compared with
only looking at /etc/cron.d, /etc/crontab and /etc/fcrontab.

It looks like signalling that a file came into existence without
watching the directory the file is in is not possible with inotify
currently.

--
Pat