Re: Runlevels after F10 install

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
Not sure if this who to report this to or how to view it, but wanted
to share this experience.

I installed F10 x86_64 on a machine for work. I wanted a minimal X11
environment, so I opted to install just WindowMaker and no desktop
environment like Gnome. No errors occurred, install completed
successfully.

On firstboot I was greeted with the text-mode setup utility to
configure firewall, networking, etc. I thought this odd, but went
with it. After completing setup, I was in run level 3. Checking I
realized no display manager were installed, nor was X. So I
installed both. Here are the issues. Doing a groupinstall for X did not prompt me for or change my default runlevel to 5. So I had to manually edit
/etc/inittab to set it to 5. That's when the other issue popped up:
no services were configured for runlevel 5. Networking, httpd, etc.
all shut down when things booted. X displayed during boot but, when
the system went to runlevel 5, everything else shut down.

Shouldn't installing X make runlevel 5 the default?

And, even if we don't install X, why should't services toggle their
runlevel 5 state?

Very Bad Things happen when packages mess with files they don't own, so it's not a bug that installing an X server didn't change your default runlevel. It's also not a bug that WindowMaker didn't pull in a display manager, since lightweight window managers are often used remotely on headless servers, which we don't want anaconda configuring for runlevel 5 by default.

The services problem is definitely a bug though.

-- Chris