Re: My (unpleasant) fedora 10 installation experience

Adam Jackson wrote:
On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 19:04 +0000, Cry wrote:
Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot <at> laposte.net> writes:

xorg in Fedora now runs in no-configuration-file mode which means the
layout preferences have to be read somewhere else.
Which brings in my Fedora 10 install experience.  If you have no xorg.conf You
CAN NOT DUAL HEAD!!!!!  You need to set Virtual big enough.  xrandr is useless
if there isn't a big enough virtual to support the monitor.  The default with no
xorg.conf should be the largest virtual possible.

No, it shouldn't be, because that burns memory on integrated graphics
machines like Intel, and because it destroys your ability to do 3d on
older cards, and and and.

That's some great information. Granted creating the xorg.conf for my dual head setup wasn't a pain personally, I wondered why they chose such a fb size. I asked on the radeonhd ml with no response. This totally answers that question.

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
Gnat Solutions, Inc