Fedora 10 and YUM

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Dec 4 13:54:46 UTC 2008

Mark Bidewell wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org
> <mailto:skvidal at fedoraproject.org>> wrote:
>

>     On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Tim Niemueller wrote:
>
>         Seth Vidal schrieb:
>

>                 I have another Fedora 8 box connected to the same
>                 router, and there are
>                 no DNS problems there.
>

>             Did these problems magically go away recently?
>

>         Not for me. I had a similar problem yesterday on a "svn up".
>         Trying a
>         second time immediately afterwards worked. Has happened a few times
>         since F-10 upgrade.
>

>     What does 'svn up' have to do with yum?
>
>     -sv
>

>     --
>

> After using F10 for a longer time, I believe that the issue might be a
> more general DNS issue than just YUM.  I have been getting more failed
> lookups under F10 than under Windows or F9.

I noticed this as well.  I just updated my WiFi-only laptop (full install)
to Fedora 10.  Doing something as simple as 'yum update' now fails with
tons of DNS lookup failures.  Very odd because I'm using a repository mirror
(baseurl) to a machine in the next room :-(  Retries give similar, but different,
failures.