Re: Status of libtool 2.2.X?

Patrice Dumas wrote:
Cmake is not  covered by any standard (that I know about).

What's your point? Is the autotools suite "covered by a standard"?

Autotools is theoretically portable to any POSIX system. In reality, since most systems have bugs and idiosyncrasies, porting to a totally new platform is going to involve some work.

CMake is theoretically portable to any system with a C++ compiler.

Let's do some score-keeping:

Mainstream POSIX systems:
- CMake: already works
- autotools: already works
Winner: tie

New POSIX systems:
- CMake: has to deal with idiosyncrasies in the compiler and possibly make.
- autotools: has to deal with idiosyncrasies in the compiler, shell, sed/awk/m4/etc, and possibly make.
Winner: CMake

Non-POSIX systems:
- CMake: have to find the compiler and understand how to use it, have to understand a make system to generate "makefiles" (or an equivalent).
- autotools: not going to happen :-).
Winner: CMake

--
Matthew
Microsoft, electricity, network connectivity. For a secure system pick any two. -- Iain D Broadfoot (paraphrased, from cluefire.net)