Re: Status of libtool 2.2.X?

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 06:09:57PM -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> expect to see third-party flavors of CMake (the way you see various
> vendor versions of e.g. sed, which have no relation to each other
> besides the degree to which they implement the POSIX spec for such tool).

Why so? There could be a solaris cmake, an IRIX cmake, an HP-UX cmake...

> Again, *what* "vendor cmake"? There is no such thing.

There could be. Why are there vendor sh, sed and awk?

> Cost of porting CMake: on POSIX platforms, about the same as autotools
> or better, and unlike autotools, doable for non-UNIX-like platforms.

All the GNU POSIX utilities are portable and have been ported on many
platforms.

I don't know exactly where to check, but I guess that there were even VMS
versions of GNU sed, awk and so on, and also apollo versions and so on.

--
Pat