The looming Python 3(000) monster

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 5 19:11:12 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 20:45 +0200, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:

> It would be very hard to write 2.6 code that is completely compatible
> with 3.0, because 3.0 has changed many fundamental language constructs,
> including even the "print" statement, which in 3.0 is a function (syntax
> change).
>
> I am not sure how far the from __future__ import feature will work for
> such changes as that.

 Sigh...

from __future__ import print_function

...can everyone who isn't involved in writing python code, and/or not
read about 2.6 / 3.0 before this thread please not comment?

 As Toshio Kuratomi said extremely well, in the grand parent to this
post:

        Note that I think this decision is only partially within the
        powers of the Fedora Project to decide.  If 80% of our upstream
        libraries move to py3, we'll need to move to py3 sooner.  If 80%
        refuse to move off of py2, we can take our time working on
        migration code.

...so as I said, we don't have concrete plans yet ... and some of that
is because it depends on available resources within the project, but a
lot of that is because we have to follow upstream and it's not obvious
how fast (the majority of) python developers upstream will move.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora