The looming Python 3(000) monster

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 22:08:51 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Theoretically yes, but historically python's habit of incompatible changes
>> have caused problems especially when things were done in the wrong order or
>> a system was interrupted before the complete set was installed and then
>> couldn't fix itself.
>
> interrupted rpm transactions can cause pretty much any sub system to
> stop working. Feel free to dive into rpm development and create a fix
> for that problem.

I thought that was a separate problem (in a flurry in the FC2/FC3 era)
but similar in dealing with RPM swapping incompatible db libs underneath
itself.  I recall for a while I defensively did a separate run of yum to
just update rpm and yum to minimize the chances of failure or mismatches
  pulled from out-of-sync repos before starting a larger update.  I
don't think there have been many problems recently, but it will still be
tricky to make the yum/python switch foolproof - especially if you don't
permit multiple versions of python to exist at once.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com