More PATH fallout. Who decided this was a good idea?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 21:18:59 UTC 2008

Steve Grubb wrote:

>>> Sure and that can be audited. We can also point out that this act takes
>>> the system out of the certified configuration. So, if you need to be in
>>> the CAPP certified configuration, don't let users do this.
>> To be CAPP certified, you can't have a web browser?
>
> Not sure where you are going with this line of questions, but yes there are
> console packages with utilities in the CAPP package set that could be used to
> grab remote files.

I think the logical implication is that such a system would be
essentially useless these days.   Do you value the ease of obtaining
some certification that will rarely/never be used enough to break things
for the vast majority of users.

 > Curl, elinks, and ftp are a few I spotted during a quick
> look. The admin would need to chmod those to prevent their unauthorized use or
> take some other measure to protect the system to maintain their config.

Still sounds like a useless system to me.  I could have kept my
typewriter if I wanted something that couldn't access a network.

> The bottom line is that we aren't making shadow-utils setuid root so that
> --help works.  :)

You lost me there.  What device/file with root-only access would
shadow-utils need to open to make --help work?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com