On Dec 9, 2008, at 11:23 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

Colin Walters wrote:
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
The DBus update broke applications not conforming 100% to the spec.
Unfortunately this update was pushed directly into stable (not
updates-testing) and so nobody got a chance to test it.
Just to be clear, the direct push into stable is my fault; not Red
Hat's or other DBus developers or anyone else's.  I had originally
listed it for updates-testing, but then changed the update to security
and in a moment of total stupidity also changed the listing for
stable.

People make mistakes - which is the point of having procedures in place to catch them. Is there any way some additional checks can be imposed before things hit the public repos?

Just remember that policies and procedures have a cost. That cost can be deployment latency (whined about frequently), effort to update (how many packages are way behind upstream) or test burden on an understaffed QA/test team. TANSTAFL.

joe