nautilus depends on a lot of stuff via gvfs

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 01:18:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 11:27 +0100, Dan Horák wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to remove samba-winbind (plus the rest of samba, because I
> don't need it and samba represents MBs of updates and tens of MB of used
> space) from my F-10 machine and found out that it will remove nautilus
> too.
>
> Removing:
>  samba-winbind                      i386         3.2.5-0.23.fc10            installed         7.9 M
> Removing for dependencies:
>  gnome-vfs2-smb                     i386         2.24.0-3.fc10              installed          28 k
>  gvfs-smb                           i386         1.0.2-3.fc10               installed         255 k
>  hal-cups-utils                     i386         0.6.17-4.fc10              installed         100 k
>  libsmbclient                       i386         3.2.5-0.23.fc10            installed         3.8 M
>  nautilus                           i386         2.24.1-3.fc10              installed          13 M
>  samba-client                       i386         3.2.5-0.23.fc10            installed          27 M
>  samba-common                       i386         3.2.5-0.23.fc10            installed          29 M
>  system-config-printer              i386         1.0.9-1.fc10               installed         1.6 M
>  system-config-printer-libs         i386         1.0.9-1.fc10               installed         2.8 M
>
> The problem is that nautilus has hard dependencies on many (all?) gvfs
> modules.

All of them, so things work out of the box.

>  Trying to remove libgphoto2 has similar effects.
>
> So my proposal is to split nautilus into nautilus-core, that will
> contains the content of the current nautilus package, and nautilus
> "meta" package that will contains all the dependencies plus dependency
> on nautilus-core. This solution will install all the deps as today, but
> leave the option to remove the unnecessary packages afterwards.
>
> Only 3 packages will be affected with this split
> nautilus-devel
> nautilus-python
> seahorse-plugins
> and they should be made to depend on nautilus-core instead of nautilus.
>
> I will file a bug with the proposed change to nautilus spec file.

That's not workable. You'd probably rather rejigger the samba packages
so it's possible to use Samba in any appropriate environment without
dragging in the server, or the excessively big packages. You should do
the same for other dependencies.

Removing functionality from nautilus as it is installed by default won't
fix that problem.

Cheers