arial narrow is broken since Fedora 8

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 14:06:03 UTC 2008

Behdad Esfahbod pisze:
> Julian Sikorski wrote:
>
>> Looks like the current strategy works then, but quite slowly in some
>> cases. The main issue I see here is that freedesktop bugzilla seems to
>> be a black hole - I added a comment to bug #13416 half a year ago and
>> got zero response from upstream developers, so please forgive me my
>> slight frustration at this point - it's not that I didn't try, but if no
>> one upstream gives a damn about the problem, I tried to find allies
>> here, who could possibly have more convincing power. Attracting
>> attention - that was the purpose of my post.
>
> That "they" thinking is so broken.  "Upstream developers" is not a group of
> aliens.  Ask on any IRC channel who maintains fontconfig and people will tell
> you.  Currently Keith Packard makes a release every year.  That is, he spends
> two or three days every year to make a release with patches that are ready to
> go in.  The only other person spending time on it has been me, preparing
> patches for Keith when release time gets close.  So in one sense there is no
> upstream developers.  Want to change that?  Become one.
>
> That said, I'm going to spend some time before the end of the year on getting
> a fontconfig tree ready for release.  I'll take a look at your issue.
>
> behdad
>
>> Julian

I would happily become an upstream dev, but unfortunately I can't code.
What I can do is testing patches, which could be helpful in case, as you
said, the fonts you are using are not exhibiting the issue. I could also
provide more information if necessary, but I'd need some guidance how to
obtain it. Thanks for looking into it in advance!

Julian