On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 13:17 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, James Antill wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 13:45 +0100, Robert Scheck wrote:
> >>  Yum-updatesd could
> >> get a cronjob - I think being up-to-date is nice, but being too up-to-date
> >> can hurt very much for a Fedora user nowadays (e.g. dbus).
> >
> > The main reason┬╣ it was a daemon initially is that pirut/pupplet spoke
> > to it over dbus.
> > Changing yum-cron to use yum-updatesd --oneshot was on my TODO list a
> > long time ago, but it turned out to be non-trivial and keep backwards
> > compat. with both pieces ... so nothing happened to either piece.
> >

> > ┬╣ One other feature is that we wanted "hourly" but with a random start,
> > so if everyone turned their computer on at 9am it wouldn't slam the
> > repo. ... this might be possible in newer cron's though.
> >

> Amusingly yum has had this for a long time:
>
> yum -R <minutes>
>
> :)

 I am aware of that :p~

 Maybe my explanation was bad, what you have is this:

1. Start of "cron like" service for getting updates/whatever.

2. Run of "cron like" service.

3. sleep for 1 hour, then goto #2.

...here we want #1 to have a random-ish start, but the 2<=>3 loop to be
on a simple 1 hour cycle.
 Yum -R is great, and used by yum-cron, but there's no good way to get
the above behaviour with it (doing yum -R 60 every hour means you can
have almost a 2 hour window between runs).

--
James Antill <james fedoraproject org>
Fedora