On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, James Antill wrote:

Maybe my explanation was bad, what you have is this:

1. Start of "cron like" service for getting updates/whatever.

2. Run of "cron like" service.

3. sleep for 1 hour, then goto #2.

...here we want #1 to have a random-ish start, but the 2<=>3 loop to be
on a simple 1 hour cycle.
Yum -R is great, and used by yum-cron, but there's no good way to get
the above behaviour with it (doing yum -R 60 every hour means you can
have almost a 2 hour window between runs).

Then you have the first run be random, and it marks when it last ran and spaces them out for the rest of the time 1 hour later, each.

-sv