On Thu December 11 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:

> That sort of assumes that there is some defined stable state that I'd
> know that I didn't want to migrate from - and I've never seen a fedora
> initial release that was close to that.   How am I supposed to know when
> this state arrives?

You can start with updating only packages that update packages you are not
satisfied with. To get as much bugs fixed as possible in the initial release,
you have to do more testing and report bugs.

> And if there's no reason to pick up those other
> updates, why push them in the first place.

There are other people interested in the updates.

> My point is that mistakes
> are going to happen and there should be a planned way to avoid or fix
> them that doesn't include downtime on every machine that runs the
> distribution.

I agree here. I already mentioned some methods in another e-mail. Another
possibility I just thought of would be to create reverse delta rpms, i.e.
before an rpm is installed, a delta to the current state is created and stored
somewhere. This can then used to restore the previous state. Of course someone
needs to write this. :-)

Regards,
Till