On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Nils Philippsen wrote:

Somehow delaying file updates until after a reboot sounds yucky to me,
not only because merely quitting firefox and starting it again would
help in this instance. Perhaps we should find a way where yum/PK would
flag packages which are known to have these issues to the user in the
form of "updating these packages requires you to restart firefox/..."
akin to how we hint users to logout and back in (e.g. update of basic
GNOME packages) or reboot the machine (kernel).

there are multiple ways to do this - the hard part is not the implementation. The hard part is making the list of pkgs for which a restart of the box/app is important.

-sv