Re: Making updates-testing more useful

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Thomas Moschny wrote:

2008/12/12 Seth Vidal <skvidal fedoraproject org>:
A dependency problem in the set of packages provided by
 (fedora base, updates from today, rpmfusion from today)
is somehow more 'severe' than a dependency problem from
 (fedora base, updates from today, rpmfusion from yesterday)

How? It's the same to the user. They can't do what they wanted to do b/c
they're out of sync.

That's not true. They could go and report the dependency problems
somewhere - which would be superfluous work in case their mirror is
simply behind. And btw, how do you know what they really wanted -
probably they simply run yum upgrade.

Which is really what --skip-broken is for.

In general skip-broken is probably going to need to be the default for these multi-repo situations. I don't LOVE it but if we tie this info into the updateinfo.xml so we can properly notify the user if a security or important update cannot be applied b/c of a broken dependency, then I will feel better about it.

-sv