How to get c++ abort to generate backtrace

We're seeing cmake crash on the ppc64 builders with the following:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
  what():  basic_string::erase

Is there anyway to get this to automatically generate a stack trace? When I try running the process under gdb I don't get the crash so I've been unable to debug that way.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion cora nwra com