What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 16:28:27 UTC 2008

Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Nils Philippsen wrote:
>

>> Somehow delaying file updates until after a reboot sounds yucky to me,
>> not only because merely quitting firefox and starting it again would
>> help in this instance. Perhaps we should find a way where yum/PK would
>> flag packages which are known to have these issues to the user in the
>> form of "updating these packages requires you to restart firefox/..."
>> akin to how we hint users to logout and back in (e.g. update of basic
>> GNOME packages) or reboot the machine (kernel).
>>

> there are multiple ways to do this - the hard part is not the
> implementation. The hard part is making the list of pkgs for which a
> restart of the box/app is important.

Doesn't firefox do this by itself in the versions that do their own
updates - that is, it tells you that the updates won't take effect until
you restart the app?  I don't think it gets it completely right even
then, though.  I've seen the Mac and Windows versions get slow and
unresponsive if you keep them running for some time after the update has
happened.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com