What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 17:42:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 08:23:23AM -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out if we have a rampant "just shove the latest
>> upstream into all branches" problem, or if we have a lack of information
>> problem, or a bit of both.  I think trying to quantify the actual problem,
>> if there is one, is the only way we're going to know how to address
>> anything going forward.
>
>This will require some sort of systematic review of bugs filed about
>updates during a release cycle or two.

>From a quality standpoint, yes.

>From a "oh my $deity, we are shoving more updates into stable branches
than we are in rawhide!" (hyperbole, maybe) standpoint, well not so much.
I was more looking at this angle.  If people are doing updates just
because they are there and they don't really provide the end-users anything
more than a shiny new package, then that would appear to be wasted
resources.  The problem with catching those cases is that there may be
no bugs filed at all because things are still working fine.  But they might
have been working just fine before the update too.

Tricky, methinks.

josh