Perseus Digital Library?

Jonathan Robie jonathan.robie at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 23:12:32 UTC 2008

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 03:53:11PM -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have plans to create a Fedora RPM for the Perseus Digital
>> Library?
>>
>> http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/opensource
>>
>> I'm not quite ready to commit to creating one, but I'm definitely
>> playing with the idea. I'd have to figure out roughly how much of my
>> free time would be needed first.
>>

> Incidentally, isn't the non-commercial license incompatible with
> Fedora?

If it is, that would answer the question ....

> And more to the point, aren't these texts unquestionably
> public domain (the ancient Greeks never had such a concept as
> copyright, and the collections date from 300-2500 years old) ...

Probably not "unquestionably", people use textual criticism to assemble
a text, one edition of a given Greek work looks a little different from
another. People who create critical texts have typically copyrighted them.

But I'm not sure what issue you are pointing at here. Educate me!

Jonathan