On Sun, 14 Dec 2008, Kevin Kofler wrote:

Seth Vidal wrote:
the downgrade problems are as follows:

1. scriptlets are not reversible
2. downgrading works provided the user data/user config is not modified by
an update in a one-way process. (ex: mysql upgrade from  4->5 will convert
a db, but going back the other way won't fly)
3. There are certain processes which no one is ever going to do the work
to make them reversible: lvm1->lvm2, db transitions, udev migration,
ext3->ext4.

4. Some KDE applications use kconf_update to upgrade configuration files to
a new syntax. This works per user, the first time the KDE libraries are
used by that user after the upgrade. Other applications may have similar
per-user config file upgrade mechanisms. This is also not easily
reversible.

I've documented the problems with downgrading packages here:

http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/DownGradeProblems

so we can refer to that in the future.

-sv