Re: Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Dan Williams wrote:
On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 15:47 +0100, Harald Hoyer wrote:
http://www.harald-hoyer.de/personal/blog/fedora-10-boot-analysis

A brief Fedora 10 boot analysis.

Hardware: Asus EeePC 901 with a flash disk.

Time taken from entering the encrypted root disk password until the password can be entered (after pressing return in gdm). The 10 second wait in nash is ignored here (which really annoys me and should be configurable in /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd).

Default Live CD Installation: 39s (bootchart http://www.harald-hoyer.de/files/f10boot/bootchart-nonread.png)

After installing readahead and running one collection boot process: 36s (bootchart http://www.harald-hoyer.de/files/f10boot/bootchart-readahead.png)

At this point, I recognized that all processes (NetworkManager and newaliases),

Odd, NM isn't intentionally calling fsync() (it's not anywhere in the
code), nor does glib do that anywhere that I can find.  I can't think of
anything that would require an fsync for NM, so I'm interested in
finding this and killing it.

http://www.harald-hoyer.de/files/bootchart-16.png

looks very much like it... but I could be wrong, though.

dan