Re: RFC: Description text in packages

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

Le Lun 15 décembre 2008 16:37, Richard Hughes a écrit :

Next on my list are insane descriptions.

Specs files and most notably human-targeted text inside them are
UTF-8. Please do not invent any broken application-side transcoding
system.

+1.

If we make description (or any field) a special format and try to rely on it I think you'll find that ISVs and 3rd party providers of packages will ignore it/not know about it and then screw up PK. It's better to accept all sorts of wackiness and live with it. If the package maintainer wants their descriptions to be useful to people then they can clean them up to look better in PK.

Having said that an rpmlint check that says no description can be > than 512bytes might not be a terrible thing.

-sv