Re: Installing from Live CD is the new black?

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
Arthur Pemberton wrote:
Of course it is an important use case. No one is saying DVD installs
are useless. However if you have the bandwith to dload the DVD image
yourself, it is a lot more efficient to dload a live CD and install
from that.
No if:
- you want a downtime as small as possible.

I fail to see how this is true with a DVD install. But this really

Installing from a DVD your downtime is only during the install from media, installing from a Live CD the downtime is during the install from media *and* the yum install of all the applications you need to do the real work.
What good is a desktop without applications?

isn't that important as no one is trying to take away DVD installs.

Fortunately no, but a bit earlier in the thread we have seen such wishes.