Re: Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:47:32 +0100
Harald Hoyer <harald redhat com> wrote:

http://www.harald-hoyer.de/personal/blog/fedora-10-boot-analysis

A brief Fedora 10 boot analysis.

To reach the 20 Second Startup Feature

this begs the question, and you knew I as going to ask ;), if Fedora
wants to reach the 5 second boot that is quite possible on this
hardware, even without too insane compromises.
(which translates to something like 2 to 3 seconds on a full sized
laptop-with-ssd)

If not, I would regret that but it's not something I would have to live
without; I can get a fast boot myself quite fine. If so, something needs to happen NOW for F11, with a real serious push
for this. It'll involve quite a few people and quite a few packages
that need to get things right, but it's not at all impossible nor does
it require impossible-for-fedora compromises.

Push your kernel patches, so we have a kernel fast boot and sreadahead.
Persuade our kernel maintainer to compile more modules in the kernel.

But, we can't / don't want to drop gnome and most other services, you dropped to reach 5 seconds.