RFC: Description text in packages

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 16 19:17:08 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mardi 16 décembre 2008 à 12:36 -0600, Matthew Woehlke a écrit :
>> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>>> Those would be whatever the maintainer of your xkb layout wants them to
>>> be. Adding this stuff to an xkb layout is not rocket science and has
>>> been possible for a long time.
>> So one of they keys on my keyboard should do something other than what I
>> expect?
>
> Bzzt. On an average keyboard, about 50% of the alt-ed space is not
> marked and let to the implementators discretion. Without going into
> Canadian six-level key complexity, four-level xkb layouts are the norm
> and I dare you to find a keyboard where all four levels are marked.

So you're infringing on shortcut space instead? Well... as long as you
aren't using letters I suppose that isn't horrible (or else, using
alt+shift), but doesn't solve how to tell people such key combinations
exist in the first place.

(Sigh. I need to file a bug against TB not defaulting to utf8.)

--
Matthew
ENOWIT: .sig file for this machine not set up yet