Re: Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

Seth Vidal wrote:

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

Les Mikesell wrote:

(b) making sleep/hibernate reliable is what laptop users
need instead of booting all the time anyway because it is much faster if
you can simply close the lid and open it later with all your apps
working as you left them.

This is actually the strongest argument against spending a lot of
resources on
going sub 20 seconds.  If Vista-style suspend-to-both works reliably,
there is
no reason to turn a machine off at all.

suspend uses LITTLE power but not none
hiberate uses no power but only happens when you've drained power already

so a good reason to power off is simply to save power

Or hibernate?

At least on my system hibernate takes as much time as a reboot.

And as jesse said - we still need to reboot for kernels, dbus, all sorts of stuff.

-sv