Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Dec 16 22:45:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 16:03 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > (b) making sleep/hibernate reliable is what laptop users
> > need instead of booting all the time anyway because it is much faster if
> > you can simply close the lid and open it later with all your apps
> > working as you left them.
>
> This is actually the strongest argument against spending a lot of resources on
> going sub 20 seconds.  If Vista-style suspend-to-both works reliably, there is
> no reason to turn a machine off at all.
>
> That said, doesn't mean we shouldn't clean up cruft.

Indeed.  There are still plenty of reasons why reboots happen, so
speeding up boot is worthwhile.

> Hans de Goede wrote:
>
> > 2) Load some services after gdm is up, for example cron, anacron, at,
> > setroubleshootd
>
> Please, no setroubleshootd by default.  What's the point?  Read section "The
> rest" in my blog post:

Dan is working on making setroubleshoot suck less -- the idea of
notifying you of problems even if the only thing you can do is report
them isn't bad.  The implementation is less than ideal :)

> Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> >> how about not running a full MTA on a laptop/client install... at all?
> >
> > That works if you have reliable, continuous access to the 'net. Not my
> > case, sorry.
>
> Don't you have to configure the MTA if you want to use it?  I mean, when a
> normal user configures Thunderbird/Evo/... it puts the SMTP address that their
> mail provider gave them (smtp.gmail.com, etc), NOT localhost.  If you are an
> advanced-enough user to set it to localhost and configure your MTA to point it
> to your remote SMTP server, sure you don't mind a "yum install sendmail"
> first, do you?

Yeah, I think that this is probably the right path although it
definitely is going to be a noisy path.  FWIW, even mutt users don't
need sendmail anymore -- see 'set smtp_url'.

Jeremy