Re: Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 17:59 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 16:30 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Jesse Keating <jkeating redhat com> said:
On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 16:41 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
so a good reason to power off is simply to save power
Or to reboot for one of our frequent updates that require it.  kernel,
dbus, etc...
Why does anything other than a kernel update require a reboot?

The system bus cannot be restarted.  Similarly, any apps you have
running will be using old libraries so things like glibc you really want
to reboot for.

Back in the days, sshd had a trigger to restart itself on glibc update.  init
had a similar thing too I guess...

Yes, but that's not everything on your system.  Should we add triggers
for everything you can possibly run?  :)

There's this yum plugin..... ;)

-sv