Usage of %{__macros} in our .specs?

Hi all,

I've been told, by an upstream developer of one of the packages I
maintain, that I/we should use e.g. %{__make} instead of make in
our .spec files in order to have our packages more compatible/portable.

As I understand it, if I use make, whatever make is find in the $PATH of
the user the package is build under, it will be used, however if I use
%{__make} /usr/bin/make (as per 'rpmbuild --showrc" output) will be used
regardless of what environment path I've set. It's similar for other
macros like %{__rm}, %{__sed}, %{__mv} or %{__cp}, %{__ln_s} or
%{__mkdir_p} to name a few.

I haven't found any guideline regarding this and our packages seem to
wary in the way they use it. Should there be any guideline or
recommendation created for it? What do others think about it?

Thanks,
Martin