What I'm going to do: Was: RFC: Description text in packages

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 17 19:02:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Richard Hughes wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 09:00 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> I don't understand why you want to mess with it at all?  Why can't you
>> show exactly what's in bodhi, or exactly what's in the rpm headers?
>
> Because people
> file bugs when
> word wrapping
> is not done
> correctly
>
> People also don't use the UTF8 chars in update descriptions or spec file
> changelogs, and quite understandably, there's no bullet key on most
> keyboards. Using a * is so 1980's.

Richard,
  I'm sorry but I think if you're going to suggest a specialized format for
the description tag and/or try to change pkgs to comply with this format
or file bugs about non-complying pkgs then your suggestion should go to
the Fedora Packaging or Fesco for approval. A change to the existing
standard is going to need approval from more folks.

You may also consider approaching the opensuse and mandriva folks to make
sure they are onboard, too.

-sv