Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 17 20:48:28 UTC 2008

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>>> Guess where those notifications go?  In /var/spool/mail/root.  Guess
>>> who pops
>>> up a notification on my non-root desktop to notify me that my harddisk is
>>> dying?  Nobody.
>> Ahh, so you've finally identified a problem that needs to be solved.
>> Unless you think the distribution should cater only to people who don't
>> care if their computers work or not?
>
> A problem needing fix was identified at the beginning of the thread.  Except
> that you insist on keeping the broken status quo.
>
> Things like hardware notifications can much easier be done using HAL and D-BUS
> than using local mail.

...and cron still needs to be patched.

How's this, when I get a popup notification that the output from my cron
jobs is going to /dev/null and would I like to install an MTA please and
thank you, *then* I am okay making sendmail not a hard dependency :-).

...and these sorts of notifications ought to be provided by something
that is very hard to remove. As in, --nodeps, or at least taking out
something whose name makes it blindingly obvious that you're removing
something important.

--
Matthew
"...anyway, that's my 0.02 toasters"