Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Wed Dec 17 20:50:03 UTC 2008

nodata wrote:

>>> Well, no; not if this requires data=writeback.  We can't ship that way,
>>> it's a potential security hole.  You don't want someone's maildir
>>> suddenly containing pieces of /etc/shadow or whatnot.  The old data that
>>> may be exposed by data=writeback may not belong to that user.
>>>
>>> -Eric
>>>
>> So, we switch to xfs as the default FS? :-)
>

> XFS has a nasty bug where it will leave files full of zeros on disk in a
> crash.

No, it doesn't.  Not any more (and technically not ever; what happened
was a truncate & extension of the file (like vi might do) led to a size
on disk but no extents so you got a sparse file.  If the apps looked
after their data as they should, this wouldn't happen either, but that's
just an aside).

But anyway,

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git&a=commitdiff&h=ba87ea699ebd9dd577bf055ebc4a98200e337542

> I think it was Alan Cox that said this could be fixed quite easily by
> changing the write ordering for XFS, but that someone who was willing to
> maintain the patch would need to do it.
>
> If this was merged I would love to move to XFS :)

Go for it.

-Eric