Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Wed Dec 17 20:51:59 UTC 2008

> > Rightly so, I think. For the 'modern personal desktop' (hope I used
> the
> > correct quotes there :-), the critical system messages deserve to be
> delivered
> > to the active (or soon to be) desktop, rather than a passive log
> file.
>
> What does that mean?  Has Linux stopped being a multiuser system?

No, it hasn't. But Fedora is targeted at the desktop user.
And your continuous efforts at stopping any sort of progress
for the *common* case is truly frustrating.

I've used Linux on all my desktops for 12+ years. Never have I
found the root notifications useful in that case. And even if
they would have been, you seem to have no idea what a non-technical
person would make of them. I'll tell you: nothing.

On the other hand, boot speed is a perceived problem by most users,
technical or not. Back in '98 when I tried to install Linux for
my dad, the 1st question was: but does it start fast?

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.