query post/postun/preun dependencies for a rpm

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Dec 18 15:25:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Till Maas wrote:

> Hiyas,
>
> I would like to query the post/postun/preun dependencies of an rpm.
> If I run rpm --requires -q pam_mount, it is not shown which dependencies
> result e.g. from a Requires(post), but I am sure that there is at least one,
> e.g. one of the /bin/sh dependencies.

The information is stored in RPMTAG_REQUIREFLAGS of headers but there's no
formatter to make it human readable in current rpm versions (upstream has
:deptype now but that's not yet in rpm 4.6.0), meanwhile this'll do the
trick: http://laiskiainen.org/rpm/scripts/depnames.py

[pmatilai at localhost ~]$ ./depnames.py pam_mount
auto R /bin/bash
post R /bin/sh
auto R /bin/sh
auto R /usr/bin/perl
manual R config(pam_mount) = 0.49-1.fc10
manual R libHX >= 1.25

This'll only work for installed packages, making it work for non-installed
packages is left as an excercise to the reader...

 	- Panu -