Fedora 10 - Boot Analysis

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 17:36:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:
> In /etc/sysconfig/crond, there is the CRONDARGS variable where it can be set.

Okay that meets the baseline requirement for the desktop live image.
And obviously kickstart scripts for other spin targets can flip that
config to something else as needed. If we get a Server Spin for
example it could choose sendmail by default and explicitly install
sendmail by default in its kickstart.

But can this be handled in a more sophisticated way so we can get a
system that can handle both the desktop target usecase and the managed
system usecase that Les is trying to articulate by default without a
config file edit?

IF a real honest-to-god mta is installed, can cron grow some logic to
prefer to use the mta if available? For example can the cron service
script see if /usr/sbin/sendmail is there.. if it is..use it... if its
not..fall back to something else (the yet to be written dbus-email
broker)

 If that sounds doable, then we can start poking Behdad to write the
missing dbus-email broker as an F11 feature and we can get something
which should not disrupt Les's managed desktop usecase.

-jef