gallery2 outstanding security bugs -- Abondoned by Berninger?

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Thu Dec 18 20:01:46 UTC 2008

> Jon Ciesla wrote:
>> What about simply keeping it on Sourceforge?  Don't one of you have
>> admin
>> access to the project there?  I have a SF account currently.
>>
>> As far as bringing libjpeg current, I'm not sure the task would be as
>> herculean as it sounds, activities at fd.o hotwithstanding, not sure
>> what
>> that's about.
>
> libjpeg is essentially dead.
>
> The move to put libjpeg on Sourceforge was done to prevent a complete
> scattering of the developers over a looming fork.  So I think that the
> move to Sourceforge was wise as it kept everyone "together".  However,
> the project is still dead, and if it had forked it probably would still
> be dead.
>
> I think that it will take someone who is sincerely available to maintain
> the project, who has the respect of the developer community, to commit
> those patches and organize a release schedule and plan... and then move
> forward.

Doubtless.

> I truly wish that person were me.  However, I do not have the time, and
> I otherwise don't feel qualified.

Understandable.  If this person exists, then that is the logical path.  If
not, then are distro maintainers to simply soldier on, maintaining what
are, in effect, forks?  I have to think that in the absence of the
Qualified Individual we all desire, a coordinating effort of distro
maintainers would be preferable to the status quo.

--
in your fear, speak only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie