Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Thomas Bendler ml at bendler-net.de
Fri Dec 19 12:52:54 UTC 2008

Hi Alex,

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com>wrote:

> [...]
> I don't understand this harsh reaction. Yes, I am the maintainer of
> natilus, yes I am the primary developer of nautilus for at least the
> last 5 years. Yes, I am the packager of nautilus in fedora. Yes, I
> implemented (not invented!) spatial mode in nautilus, for the reason
> that I think its a good UI model for a file manager, especially one
> targeted towards non-computer-experts like nautilus.

that's as you said your opinion but there might be a reason from a UI design
point of view why nearly no other distribution nor other operating systems
(like our friends from Redmond and they've done back in 3.11) use the
spatial mode. Please don't understand this personal, I simply think ...

[...]
> The question is, why are you so persistant about pushing your
> preferences on everyone. You think I'm a fucking nuthole to have picked

... that the majority of people don't use this mode. Again, this not
personal and no one think that you are "nuthole" (at least I think that no
one think this :)). It's just looking at other distributions and operating
systems which all don't use this mode, so I think there is at least the need
of a discussion about it. Maybe we have UI experts on this list who can
provide us with details about the UI research and what they think might be a
smart approach.

Regards, Thomas