[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11



On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 03:16 +0100, Mark wrote:
>
>> So in short. as long as the nautilus creator is also the maintainer
>> and the inventor of spatial we probably won't see this default
>> behaviour change. very sad but true!
>
> I don't understand this harsh reaction. Yes, I am the maintainer of
> natilus, yes I am the primary developer of nautilus for at least the
> last 5 years. Yes, I am the packager of nautilus in fedora. Yes, I
> implemented (not invented!) spatial mode in nautilus, for the reason
> that I think its a good UI model for a file manager, especially one
> targeted towards non-computer-experts like nautilus.

fine if you target the code to "noobs" (that's what you say nicer
words) but most of the computer users that use linux know just a
little more then the average starting computer user.
>
> However, I don't think spatial mode is always what you want, so nautilus
> also has the browser, always availible in the spatial window menus and
> in the panel menu, if you want to do something where it is more in line
> with what you want. Its not an afterthought either, we maintain it and
> add features to it. And, we also have a UI preference to totally turn
> off spatial mode for those that don't like it.
>
> The question is, why are you so persistant about pushing your
> preferences on everyone. You think I'm a fucking nuthole to have picked
> spatial as the default, yet you think you should decide what the default
> should be. Thats as much a decision as what I've done and the people who
> dislike it will write long tirades about how you're a fucking nuthole,
> how they are gonna leave/fork gnome/fedora etc. Yes, it is possible to
> have a discussion of what the defaults should be, but it should be a
> sane one with less emotions, no namecalling, a realization that someone
> else (who spent many many years working on the piece of software) may
> have a valid opinion, and a genuine interest in finding out the
> reasoning behind the various options.

Why am i so persistent.. well because i don't like the default
behaviour! and there are thousands if not millions of linux users that
agree with me. just do a google search on "gnome nautilus spatial
2004" and browse through all the comments that you find. the huge
majority didn't like it back then and still doesn't like it now. Now
there is just one big difference. UBUNTU listens to them and uses the
browser mode along with most other distributions. Fedora somehow has
to be different and i suspect that's because your the package
maintainer and dev of nautilus.

Also i don't intend to FORK fedora! nor gnome. to be honest, i like
c++ not c and definitely not python (fedora over uses it) so forking
any of it would be waste for me.
>
> I have been convinced to change my mind by such discussions before, so
> I'm not just blocking other peoples ideas. Of course, your random
> rantings and namecallings don't exactly make me interested in having a
> discussion with you.

your now well aware of my opinion about this and you know as good as
me that most people using linux and gnome and nautilus use the browser
mode. Just a fact not made up. I don't see a point in a discussion
with your simply well aware of the facts and how i stand. It's
entirely up to you to change this for fedora.

Also note that i'm just "harsh", hard and to the point in this
question. I'm not rude (yet). you on the other hand are starting to do
so: "fucking nuthole". Skip the rude part next time plz. I didn't
insult anyone yet (oke, perhaps Rahul a bit).


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]