Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 00:02:20 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 02:40 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> You are being self contradictory. If you don't have any hard numbers,
>> you cannot actually claim a majority at all and yes, finding hard
>> numbers is difficult if not impossible and doesn't really translate
>> into usability anyway. I wouldn't blame you for this.
>
> But this is exactly what drives people up the wall:
>  - Please change X
>  - Why would we, how can we know if other like it like that?
>  - Look, there's plenty of indication on the web that that's the case
>  - Pfff, even 95% numbers are not good, we want HARD numbers!
>  - ... but ... that's nearly impossible to get :(
>  - Sure, we know it's impossible, that's why we asked for them. Duh!

exactly right

> No matter on each side of the debate you are, you must admit this is
> insanely frustrating! This is not constructive in any way. Why don't
> you have the guts to come out and say:
>  "Fsck off, this is the way we like it. End of discussion."

I wish they would say that. but then again that would have proven me
being right with all my "rants" about dictatorship which they probably
try to avoid.

> Why mimic this lame community involvement?!? Don't you realize people
> know when they are taken for fools?

like we are now for about 200 posts.

> And you know what? We *have* hard numbers! We know quite well the
> percentage of people using Windows and MacOSX. It is close to 95%. Every
> time I pointed that out it was completely ignored.

I'm not going to give an argument against it ^_^ i agree with you on
all your points

> I have presented a fairly tight argument why the default was not chosen
> wisely. Did I receive *one* decent counter argument? Stuff along the
> lines of "Come back with several solid usability studies" is just
> ludicrous.

that seems to be the way this "Meritocracy" likes to work.

> --
> Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
> Lattica, Inc.

I am kinda stunned by the divided community in this subject..
specially since probably about 90 - 95% is in favor of the change and
roughly 5% isn't and yet they fail to admit that they made a "small"
mistake 4 years ago. interesting and sad to see. This whole discussion
gave me a good insight in all of that.

I however don't intent to put more heat in this discussion so will be
a little more friendly in my responses now (and shorter ones).

Mark