Re: wxGTK2 -> wxGTK rename without Provides

On Friday 19 December 2008, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > We encourage garbage collecting old cruft, keeping it around indefinitely
> > should be a pretty rare exception for quite specific cases (or at least
> > that's the way I remember it when we worked on it in FPC).
>
> Once again, a Provides with a version number attached is *not* old cruft,
> it's both backwards and *forwards* thinking, because another new major
> version will inevitably happen.

This thinking sounds even worse - it is not only about preservation cruft in
Provides, but it prepares things so that it is usual/expected and easier to
ship cruft as several versions of packages, and thus more or less encourages
it.  I thought we had guidelines how to do compat-* packages properly and
some guidelines about their life cycle but it appears I'm wrong or just can't
find it now :(