Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 19:40:37 UTC 2008

Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:

>> Can someone who likes (even tolerates) spatial mode describe why?  I'm
>> completely baffled as to why anyone would prefer windows left open all over
>> the place randomly instead of just explicitly opening ones yourself in
>> places where you want them.  For me, it is _always_ extra work to close the
>> unwanted windows compared to opening the ones I want.
>
> I have used Nautilus in spatial mode as my main file manager for a
> couple of years.
>
> I like the spatial mode because:
>
> The interface is very clean and simple. There are no toolbars or tabs,
> just the actual files that I am interested in.

Something that could have been better provided by options to view or not
each of the other sections of the window in browser mode.

> The folders open where I left them the last time, also retaining their
> settings.

Again, something that would be more useful as a separate option.

> I can have a bigger window for directories with lots of
> stuff or where I want to have a bigger zoom level to make better use
> of the preview images, or a smaller window for others.

That's reasonable only for some tiny number of directories and only
repeat the same operations.  What about people who have a lot or
nfs-mount many resources from other machines and seldom do the same
thing in the same place?

> Drag and drop is easy, but I don't think this is the best thing about
> spatial mode. It's just an adde bonus.
>
> Things I don't like in spatial mode:
>
> Tendency to create create lots of windows.

The whole mess could have been avoided simply by keeping the standard
mechanism to move to a new directory in the current window and adding
the oddball method for the less likely circumstance when you want a new
window.   Why did all of the behavior changes have to bundled into one
choice that includes backwards-incompatibility?

> What I can do to avoid opening a hundred and one windows?
>
> Use shift-click or middle click to close the parent folder's window.
>
> Use the bookmark feature of Nautilus.
>
> Set common 'root' directories, like your homedir and to list mode
> (ctrl+2) and use the tree to navigate to your target without opening
> new windows at all.

If you only repeat operations among a few directories you could just
throw symlinks on your desktop and never navigate at all...

> Somewhere it was mentioned that all the other major distros have the
> browser mode as default. However, I think at least Debian has spatial
> mode as the default mode for Nautilus.

Maybe - there are plenty of things in debian that Ubuntu has to fix to
be usable.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com