Re: Stability and Release Cycles - An Idea

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Alan's quite right.  I am hosting the MinGW RPMs temporarily on my own
> site (something like 700-800 MBs worth):
>
> http://www.annexia.org/tmp/mingw/fedora-10/

But a single OO.o update alone is as large as all of your repo.

> But I spend under $30 / month on this server, and there is no
> noticable load from the 565 people[1] synching their development
> machines to it.

And there would be a lot more than 565 people updating their old Fedora
releases.

The infrastructure requirements for such a project would be several orders
of magnitude higher than those for your MinGW repo or my CalcForge repo.
There's no way a $30/month server would be able to provide the required
bandwidth, maybe not even the required storage (but the bandwidth is
proportional to size * download count, both of which are several orders of
magnitude higher than for a small repository, so I expect the bandwidth to
be the bigger issue, as it multiplies up, whereas the storage space is only
dependent on the size of the packages).

        Kevin Kofler