Re: Stability and Release Cycles - An Idea

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 22:35 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> I'm pretty sure Remi Collet _will_ be doing Firefox updates for F8 8 months
> from now, right now he's still building Firefox updates for FC4.
>
> The secret there: just update it to the new version. Even RHEL 4 got updated
> to Firefox 3. How to handle apps which are built against firefox-devel?
> Remi just provides a firefox2 for those. It won't be ideal if Mozilla EOLs
> Firefox 2 and nobody volunteers to backport security fixes, but at least
> the browser can be updated. Alternatively, the apps could be rebuilt
> against xulrunner, backporting the F9 packages where necessary. It could
> even be decided on an app-by-app basis.
>
> Now I think it's pretty pointless to provide updated Firefox builds for
> Fedora releases which get no other updates, but it does prove that it's
> possible.

Will Remmi be building the 20 some odd other packages that will then
break when gecko library path changes?  What about the packages in 3rd
party repos that also depend on a gecko library path?  What if these
packages don't work with the new gecko?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!