Re: Stability and Release Cycles - An Idea

Adam Huffman wrote:

And I don't see how the current system is not "usably-stable". Fedora just

Except when it doesn't. Would you bet your life on it working correctly after every update? You'd have lost several times on my machines, including an update very near the end of FC6's life - a point where there was no reason at all to be making changes likely to break things. And I'm not using it again for anything that matters until I have some reason to think it won't be repeated.

You seem to expend a remarkable amount of energy on something you will "never use again for anything that matters".

A lot of good engineering happens in fedora. Eventually it affects other distributions where it does matter. Unfortunately there seems to be an executive fiat keeping fedora itself from becoming usable in the way the RH development worked before fedora existed - back when people were attracted to Red Hat in the first place and the community that helped develop, test, and debug a release ended up with something that worked for some length of time at the end.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell gmail com