Stability and Release Cycles - An Idea

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Tue Dec 23 16:43:08 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

[...]

> And I think pushing out security updates, even if they're completely
> untested, would still be better than no updates at all.

"Please don't make me move to a new set of packages" vs "dumping completely
untested packages that perhaps fix a security problem are OK"... something
sounds wrong here to me.

Also note that new developemt (and bug fixing, etc) in upstream projects
happens at the development tips (which there is usually only one), finding
and backporting security fixes only is a lot of work, and is /not/ trivial.
I'd say the risk of breakage (or bad or missed fixes) is a lot higher than
when just following upstream.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513